Ok, first of all you're continuing wrong in DDS.
Secondly, you're limited to 20 characters per line of column heading
anyway so you're only going to gain a character even if you do it right.
For example
strsql
CREATE TABLE QTEMP/X (MYCHAR CHAR (45 ) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT)
LABEL ON COLUMN qTEMP/X (MYCHAR IS 'nowisthetimethattriesmenssouls')
select * from qtemp/x
....+....1....+....2....+....3.
nowisthetimethattrie
smenssouls
******** End of data ********

But if I change it to:
LABEL ON COLUMN qTEMP/X (MYCHAR IS
'Transaction Effective Date' )
leaving 20 characters for each one watch what happens to my select
statement
Transaction
Effective
Date
******** End of data ********

Now, getting back to what you're doing wrong with DDS...
Put the minus sign immediately after v. You put a space inbetween.
Look up 'continuation' at
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/dds/rbafpmstsyntax.htm