On 18 Sep 2013 11:36, Jon S wrote:
I am trying to create a file with really long column headings but
when I create it, it puts a space in between the two lines.

<ed: the implied effect:>
transactionEffecti veDate

<ed: the DDS spec for Column Heading:>
BNEFDT 10 COLHDG('transactionEffectiv' -
'eDate')

Any ideas?

Given the described\implied effect [a blank between the 'i' and the 'v', the coding was instead, apparently:

A BNEFDT 10 COLHDG('transactionEffecti -
A ' 'veDate')

If so... The string continuation character minus (-), asks to be inclusive of the preceding blanks. The continuation character plus (+) asks to ignore the preceding blanks. As Rob pointed out, see doc for "continuation" at:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/dds/rbafpmstsyntax.htm

Or... given a followup message suggested that the implied effect was output from DSPFFD...

Then instead of the line continuation as possible origin for the issue [ignoring the inconsistencies of the givens], is that the "Field text" was being reviewed, instead of the Column Heading. Whenever a DDS is coded with a COLHDG(), but for which no TEXT() is coded, a value for TEXT() is assigned as a derivation of the string(s) used for the Column Heading specification. In that derived data, a blank is inserted between each /line/ of column headings. That is by design. If that effect is not desirable, then explicitly code the desired TEXT() specification.

For example, perhaps something like the following:

A BNEFDT 10 COLHDG(+
A 'transactionEffective' -
A 'Date') TEXT(+
A 'transactionEffective+
A Date'

The above would display [effectively] the following in DSPFFD:

ColHdg line-1: transactionEffective
ColHdg Line-2: Date
Field text . : transactionEffectiveDate