On 05 Sep 2013 07:59, Don Wereschuk wrote:
I'm having a problem transferring current data from a production box
to our development box. I've tried using FTP but I'm having issues
with this. First I did a SAVF on the library <<SNIP>>
100 GB of data to transfer. My problem is that in using FTP it is
taking about 3 hrs. to FTP 16 GB of data. This would result in a time
of almost 20 hrs. to transfer the 100 GB. Is there a faster way to do
this or is using a tape backup and physically delivering it to the
other machine the fastest way? I only have a window of approx. 4-5
hrs. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Writing to a Save File is considerably slower [at least according to past discussions] than writing a binary stream or binary non-save-file [i.e. database] fixed-length records. Thus switching from using SAVF to using Virtual Tape files is probably a better\faster choice. Plus, the choice of what to save in any one save request would no longer be limited to one library per save as required when using save files.

I would suggest testing\timing a transfer of the 16GB save file data again, but PUT the file data into a stream file. The timing of that request would give a better idea of how much faster the transfer of the same saved data could be effected using virtual tape images than when using a save-file; i.e. the difference should imply the overhead of writing save file records vs writing non-record\binary stream data.