The case that can be made is that the software is where the competitive advantage lies today. Sure, there is no reason to write your own word processing program or build your own shopping cart, but if your company believes their business problems are best solved by techies who only know software and who have no idea what the company's base business is, then competitors who maximize their software will eat your company's lunch.

Its all about understanding and using the tools. Does UPS build their own trucks? No. But their people do understand trucks; they do make the rules about how their trucks are made.

imho