I haven't been following this discussion, but Business Objects isn't probably all bad.

Crystal is actually used in the client components of some of the commercial products mentioned here I believe. You would have to verify for sure.

We have a product called DataExport/400 that can export Query/400 or SQL file results directly to Excel which in many cases may be all you need.

Client Access data transfer and other simple utilities can probably provide similar functionality.

Our iForms product can also be used to generate reporting and Excel directly from the i if you want to set up regularly scheduled reporting jobs.

I have also been toying with some Proof of Concept code to simply push Query/400 results to Excel via an Excel add-in which seems to be what a lot of folks might be able to start with if they already have Query/400 skills and aren't ready for DB2 Web Query.

If anyone is interested in trying our Query/400 Excel Addin I will be releasing a preview version in the next month or two.

Feel free to contact me offline.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
Where Information Meets Innovation
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800
Fax: (952) 736-5801
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

------------------------------

message: 5
date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 11:39:23 -0400
from: Hoteltravelfundotcom <hoteltravelfun@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Business Objects with DB2 data

OK My only question is, then the consensus is that, All the Business
Objects out there, are not really being utilized as stated, that
no users are creating any reports, or a very tiny minority?SO then in what
way would we be better off getting the SEQUEL or NGS product?

It seems then that it is a matter of, which person in IT would be doing the
report writing, and how proficient they are. Meaning that, the person w
ould have to have an ISeries background, as opposed to someone with only
SQL Server background (who would be more able to work in Bus. Objects).

Of course, costs are going to be less with anything other than BO,. But
they already are paying for the Crystal Reports.