Mike,

An idea to ponder. I set up a CL program that would use SAVRST and SAVRSTDLO to move only changed objects to a remote site periodically. At this customer it happens to be every 2 hours. It pushes both IFS and DLO objects that have been changed over to a remote site. Since the rate of change in the IFS/DLO is reasonably low, this technique works quite well. The way it works is it submits itself to a job queue to run in a configurable amount of time into the future, then runs the back up and restores.

This works really well with smaller objects in DB/2 as well, but anything of any size might run into a problem.

The downside is you have to set up the communications using enterprise extenders, which of course is free from IBM. The upside, your recovery point is at what ever time you set in the program to run.

Then use a data replication tool to push most of the DB/2 data to a remote site. It does not need to be a full HA if you don't need that.

By using these types of techniques, you'll have all the data ( DB/2 is very few seconds, and IFS/DLO is a small time frame ) at your remote site in the cloud, and recovery can be reasonably fast ( within a couple of hours ) since the system on the other end is by definition a Power Systems box running IBM i.

Does this scenario fit everyone, nope, but it's a nice half step between an HA solution and nothing at all, with a cost that's reasonable as well. There are several vendors that have the capability of putting this together for you.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects