To: <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Camiel Vanderhoeven" <iamcamiel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/18/2013 02:08PM
Subject: Getting started with an AS/400 (9406 model 720)

Hello everyone,

I have just joined this list, so I'll quickly introduce myself first: I'm
Camiel Vanderhoeven from the Netherlands, 35 years old, and I've been
collecting old computers for a while. My focus is mainly on DEC equipment,
but I had an opportunity to put my hands on an AS/400 for next to nothing
last week.

Problem is, I don't know a lot about IBM stuff, and it seems there's a bit
of a learning curve ahead of me.

My system is a 9406-720, with the following cards installed:

Left side:
CPU: FN243A
C01: 2838 ethernet card
C03: 2809 IOP
C05: 2721 2-line WAN
C09: 2720 WAN + Twinax
C10: 2722 Twinax
C11: 2740 disk controller

Right side:
E15: 2824 IOP
E16: 2740 disk controller

In the front there's a cd-rom drive, a tapedrive (SLR60), 20 slots for
disks, and 20 empty disk sleds (types 6607 and 6713). The disks were removed
before the auction :-(

I've also got a modem (IBM Options, V34), a serial cable to connect the
modem, and two cables with breakout boxes (1 for the 2720 with 4 twinax
connectors, and 1 for the 2722 with 8 twinax connectors)

So, where do I get started? I'd like to get something running on the
machine. I might be able to obtain installation media for OS/400, but I'll
need to be able to interface with the system.

Am I correct in assuming that I need to connect a terminal to act as the
console, and that I issue boot commands from that console? Does said console
terminal need to be connected through Twinax? What models of terminals
should I look for, and what additional cables would I need to hook one up?
Can I use an ordinary serial terminal (VT100-like) as the console?

Thanks,

Camiel.