Sometimes this principle causes unnecessary nesting or duplication of code. Say you are reading a file. Do you have two read statements, or do you introduce an extra level of nesting in the loop to avoid processing after no record found?

read
do while not eof
process
read
end do

or

do until eof
read
if not eof
process
end if
end do

or short cut it

do while true
read
if eof then leave
process
end do

The best practices being violated are (respectively):
* do not repeat yourself
* minimize nesting
* only one in and only one out

So which would you choose? It really comes down to shop standard, and any of these are easy enough to understand, but personally I find that excessive nesting is the biggest culprit in making code unreadable.

Mark Murphy
STAR BASE Consulting, Inc.
mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx