Undoubtedly with the loss of Al and John, the community is without a great deal of knowledge and wisdom, we miss them both.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects

On 6/13/2013 6:49 AM, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks Jim. Perhaps my reference to Al was the catalyst that got you on
this track. These were all good ideas.

Rob Berendt
-- IBM Certified System Administrator - IBM i 6.1 Group Dekko Dept 1600 Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive Garrett, IN 46738 Ship to: Dock 108 6928N 400E Kendallville, IN 46755 http://www.dekko.com From: Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Date: 06/13/2013 07:37 AM Subject: Re: What's an IASP? Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx Al's main beef with iASP was they weren't implemented the way he wanted them to be. Trust me, he and I had many a spirited discussion about them, all the way back to V5R2 when they were introduced along with cross site mirroring. Yikes that was a long time ago. Things have changed quite a bit since then. James, the biggest issue with iASP and the application is to remember that work management to the extent you need to worry about it does change. You have to be sure each job has the iASP set properly, which is easy to do but requires an extra step. Also referring to the IFS changes since you will have to set the path as '/myiASP/nowmydirectorystring/whatever' so the IFS objects are found in the iASP IFS instead of *SYSBAS. A few symbolic links can ease that effort quite a bit. Remember you have two copies of DB/2 (one in *SYSBAS) and one in the iASP. They have to have different names and be in the relational database directory list, you can't rely on *LOCAL for a database name anymore. You'll have two copies of the IFS, so addressing needs to be correct. I think you tend to run Apache/Tomcat. Apache configs and web sites can live in the iASP IFS, but I don't know about Tomcat, I rather doubt it will be happy there. Zend is nearly ready with a statement on iASP, Mike can fill that in as they get to it. WAS can have the applications live in the iASP but the WAS server itself must be in *SYSBAS. (See technical document 599166201) There are some other nuances but the Redbook for iASP at V6R1 is the best guide to start with (SG24-7811-00) Jim Oberholtzer Chief Technical Architect Agile Technology Architects On 6/13/2013 6:09 AM, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote: