It makes perfect sense. The tape library has functionality to control the robot and other functions. Hence it has a device type. IBM i created it for you since it sees the library.

IBM i also sees some tape devices so it went ahead and configured that for you too. As you have found, to use the tape device, vary off the controlling tape library device and the tape unit inside the tape library becomes a stand alone tape device. Use the tape library as an auto loader (sequential mode) or manually mount tapes using the front panel or GUI interface.

So in a stand alone environment vary off the tape library, vary on the tape device.

In a BRMS managed environment, vary off the device, vary on the tape library. There is one more step in that you have to allocate the drive to the tape library, use WRKMLBSTS to do that, but that can wait for you to implement BRMS.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects