Best practice for tape management with a tape library and BRMS is to use bar code labels, and initialize the tape to have the same name as the barcode, IE barcode says: AG1001, the tape would be initialized to name AG1001. If your tapes do not have barcode labels on them, you can buy Avery 6577 Labels ( 5/8 by 3 ) and use the web site: http://www.mytapelabels.com/ to print them. It's best if you just buy the tapes with labels on them.

You are correct about your library, if you put it in sequential mode it becomes a very expensive autoloader for tapes. Stack several tapes in there and when a tape is ejected, the next one will get mounted. BRMS really wants the library to be in Random mode so it can control the library. In your case right now, I would suggest waiting for your installation of BRMS until after your installation. So Sequential mode it is.

After your environment settles a bit, implementing BRMS in a single LPAR environment can be done in most cases in 1 or 2 days. Adding in the restricted state backup while you sleep is a real added bonus. It seems to me there are quite a few wasted capital dollars you could start using in a hurry with BRMS.

There are some lessons to be learned with BRMS such as backing up the IFS and a couple of quirks to be aware of but overall it makes life much simpler to mange backups.

<Vendor response>
Agile offers the services to install/configure/implement BRMS as needed. Call if you care to.
</Vendor Response>

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects