There is a better way - the HACL - Host Access Class Library - this is what is used when recording a macro as VBA.

It is interesting - one of our folks here is just now asking me about this stuff. There appears to be a valid requirement.

HACL is much higher level - I took a quick look at EHLLAPI and ran away fast!