Rob, what i meant is the option available on "work with disks" that allows
you to delete ASPs at will. What surprises me is Paul's info that after
doing that, the directory recovery took 6 hours. I've done it on power5's
(520) and usually limited to the 8 internal disks and in that case it took
minutes.
Deleting an ASP allows you to re-install the OS to a fresh ASP without
overwriting whatever you had installed before.
I've only used option 2 to install and option 1 in that cool case you
helped crac to slip the m5 for that v5r3 machine.
But, from time to time i've used the Erase ASP option to download another
client's machine without having to do all the disk work (4328 disks take
over 300 minutes to initialize on a 520 with 8 disks). That leaves me with
my up to date LIC code and the customer's "whatever" level, but since i
usually do it for a migration the ptfs get applied anyway.
I hope i could explain the general idea.

Best Regards,