Larry,

Just confirmed, I need to use virtual Ethernet, which I did not yet have configured for the SST server.

Paul

From: Steinmetz, Paul
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:09 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: There must be an easier way ....

Larry,

I ran into issue configuring the Service Tools Server where the remote virtual optical setup is requiring a dedicated Ethernet and IP, can't be shared according to the docs. I can’t vary off a line and ENDTCP. Any way around this?

Notes for selecting the LAN adapter:
1.

If there are no available adapters listed , press F21 to show all adapters. F13 will not show a resource with an active line description. If there are no available adapters listed and you are able to use an adapter that currently has an active line description, use the command WRKHDWRSC *CMN, and then select Option 5 to work with configuration devices for the resource. Verify that each line description is varied off. After the lines are varied off, F13 should list the adapter and allow you to select that adapter.

2.

If you plan to tag a gigabit adapter that is currently in use, ensure that you end TCP/IP (ENDTCP) and vary off the TCP/IP line prior to configuring the Service Tools Server (STS). Only gigabit adapters can be shared; however, any line description using this adapter must still be varied off before using the STS Lan adapter.

3.

If possible, you can DLPAR a LAN adapter from another partition.

4.

It is possible to tag a virtual LAN adapter as long as both the server and client system are in the same virtual network.

5.

If a virtual LAN adapter is tagged, the host and client partitions must not be configured to use jumbo frames. Because the TCP/IP stack used by the NFS client/virtual optical (the altStack) does not support jumbo frames, the HOST and CLIENT partition must configure the virtual Ethernet for standard size frames (for example, MAXFRAME(1496) on the line description or MTU <= 1500 on the TCP/IP interface). It would be suggested to create a second separate VLAN with its own subnet for the remote virtual optical use.

Paul