I wonder if perhaps the following explains what had transpired in the described scenario? That perhaps one of the PTFs originally designated for apply processing [per use of INSPTF initiated by a user request] had qualified as a condition for which an *additional* system-automated INSPTF request would be effected [in\by the SCPF job], and thus include both the *loading* and *applying* of *all* of some set of "additional PTFs" [i.e. those PTFs since registered with, but not yet loaded into, *SERVICE]? Per mention of TR6, that might be likely.?

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzam8/rzam8whatnew.htm
IBM i 7.1 Information Center -> IBM i and related software -> Maintaining and managing IBM i and related software
_i What's new for IBM i 7.1 i_
"...
_What's new as of March 2011_

_Additional IPL automated during PTF installation_

PTF SI42445 is now available for IBM i 7.1. This PTF automates any additional required IPLs when installing PTFs from a virtual optical device or save files (*SERVICE). On the next normal IPL, another Install PTF (INSPTF) command is performed automatically during the PTF processing IPL step in the SCPF (start control program function) job. The INSPTF command loads additional PTFs and sets all PTFs for delayed application. Then, a second IPL of the partition is performed automatically to apply all PTFs. When the second system IPL completes and the Sign On display is shown, your PTFs are all activated.
An additional IPL is required for the following conditions:

* When installing a cumulative PTF package that contains special handling pre-apply PTFs.
* When installing a technology refresh PTF (MF99nnn) at the same time as a technology refresh requisite PTF.

These conditions can occur when installing the HIPER PTF group, the technology refresh PTF group, a cumulative PTF package, or an individual PTF with a technology refresh requisite.
..."

Regards, Chuck