Joe -

I am aware of several ETL packages, but had never heard of RODIN or Coglin Mill until I visited their web site. I agree that it was not necessarily an attempt to sell software, but Alan was recommending the use of ETL software, and his company sells a product in that arena.

Consequently, If I were in Alan's shoes I would err on the side of full disclosure...

- sjl

Joe wrote:

I'm not sure that just mentioning on a thread that a particular category
of product is a good solution requires a <<vendor response>> tag. It's
only when mentioning how good YOUR particular product is that you need
to mention it as a vendor response, as both Vern and Richard do.

Not only that, but I kinda figured Alan worked for Coglin Mill and sold
the RODIN product by his signature:

RODIN by Coglin Mill

Vern doesn't have any RJS info in his sig so it's more important for him
to identify himself (although Richard does!). In any case, I don't
think Alan was trying stealth marketing. I think you're right on a
pretty fine line of whether a vendor response tag was required.

My .02 - YMMV