We do this with NAS today.

We back up libraries and FTP to a NAS server on a nightly basis.

I guess you would call that the simulated VTL approach :-)

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
Where Information Meets Innovation
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800
Fax: (952) 736-5801
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

message: 6
date: Tue, 22 May 2012 09:22:14 -0400
from: Jack Kingsley <iseriesflorida@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: SAN Vendor support for IBM i?

If you get the right type of setups then you could do away with the
software replication and go with a geo-mirroring solution. An alternative
approach might be to utilize a san as your VTL, then have that san
replicated somewhere else.