A GUID plus timestamp + job info would most likely insure uniqueness.

I still don't totally trust GUID's by themselves, although they seem to work well on the Windows platform :-)

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
Where Information Meets Innovation
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800
Fax: (952) 736-5801
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

message: 5
date: Tue, 1 May 2012 14:56:31 -0400
from: rob@xxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: Unique ID

Timestamps may not be unique. 80-100 million transactions. Was that a
day's worth? An hours worth? What? And some processes have an annoying
habit of not populating the full milliseconds portion of a timestamp.
Can't name any, just some fog in the back of my head.