Here are a few lines (so you can see where they fit) in what I have starting at about line 51 in my catalina.sh script in the /bin folder for Tomcat 5.5.27:

# CATALINA_PID (Optional) Path of the file which should contains the pid
# of catalina startup java process, when start (fork) is used
#
# $Id: catalina.sh 689914 2008-08-28 17:53:00Z markt $
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Java 6 settings if needed
export -s JAVA_HOME=/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk60/32bit/jre
export -s CATALINA_HOME=/Apache/Tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.27
export -s JAVA_OPTS="-Dos400.awt.native=true -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.version=1.6 -Xms256m -Xmx512m"

cygwin=false
os400=false
darwin=false
case "`uname`" in