Sure! IBM i can host a small partition. Create the partition in the HMC, create a network server. I would suggest at least 4 10GB drives to be sure it performance is reasonable but you can cut that down if only one user is using the partition.

You can check on the Information Center for the minimum requirements. V6 can host a V5, V6 or V7 partition. Also requires Power6 or better.

At POWER5 you will need a dedicated disk controller with some drives. Everything else can be virtualized. If you have the space on your system for the IOP/IOA and some drives, you can get used parts for a very reasonable cost.

<Vendor Response> You can get a partition from iDevCloud to test and learn on as well if you are on POWER5 hardware. </Vendor Response>

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects