I think that FRONTMGN(*DEVD) does the exact same thing as Change QPRTVALS, but on a single printer file (instead of system-wide). It seems to de-couple the overlay from the text.
Unfortunately, it also takes away any simple margin control -such as FRONTMGN (.25 .25)
Thanks for all your help!

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Musselman, Paul
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:59 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: fun with printer overlays - how to change top margin by tiny increments (.01 inches)

<<I think if I change a system-wide printer control data area as a contractor, that would be the last thing I do at my current gig :) >>

You don't have to be a contract programmer to execute a 'last thing' command! (;

<<Good question. I have talked to other pgmrs on BBSs who have been thru this, and they have a separate control table. They use a std offset, but if a particular printer or outq is in the control table, then they add that offset to the margins in the pgm. Kinda yucky, but it will work. Any better ideas??>>

I don't know how yucky it is, but ours works-- we decoupled the overlay from the text around 1999, when we were first getting involved with overlays. Had similar issues-- we couldn't get the overlays high and to the left enough. We wrote a standard routine-- the user passes the application name and warehouse code, and we look it up in a file and find the front and back overlay names, the front and back offsets, and the text margins. We assemble a generic OVRPRTF command with 'holes' for the user to plug in the outq name and library and pass the string back to the user. This lets us customize almost everything for each location-- from the name of the overlay(s) to the individual offsets. All the offsets are in the control file-- no defaults (other than system defaults). And the user program doesn't have to know a thing about the overlay other than which output queue it wants to use.

Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx