In article <mailman.12474.1322065893.2520.midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,

Hi Jim

I'd love to be able to get a KEY for it! IBMs response was hilarious to
my inquiry a few weeks ago - I have the SN, but no order number, and
they can't even seem to locate the machine at all... even to figure out
who the original customer is... I have a bill of sale - for all I know
this machine fell off a truck. Seems odd there is no customer number.

As per a previous post, I'm ok re-installing constantly.. I'm just
looking for now, media for V7R1.

Regards

from IBM --- they sure tried! Anyone know a business partner that will
get me going with a hobbyist license for this box??? If anyone on this
monitors it, set something up!

Hello XXX..

No, the order number would be on any invoices that came along with order
placements for software on the machine.

Please note that iSeries machines are not usually bought off Ebay but
through IBM business partners or from an IBM sales representative.

In order to get a license key for the O/S system, a manual order would
have to be placed for it, which a business partner would be able to help
you with.

Did you receive any additional info or invoicing along with the machine,
as for example a customer number, system number or a Software
Maintenance (SWMA) contract number?

Thank you
Kind regards / Cordialement / Atenciosamente / Cordialmente /

midrangel@xxxxxxxxxx says...

First off, based on the way this was asked, it is doubtful that the
software is properly registered with IBM, and certainly not under
software maintenance. That in itself is a small issue. Overlooking
that, I think the original question was answered by Pete, in order to do
hosted IBM i instances you need POWER 6 hardware. The V6 vs. V7
discussion is mute at that point.

To get the current keys on the system simply do a WRKLICINF and you'll
get them all. Alternatively you can use the DSPLICKEY command as well.

You may be thinking of the SAVSYSINF command that saves a subset of the
SAVSYS.

You may also be thinking about option 40 on the Licensed Program menu.
That will create distribution media from the system as it is with PTFs
already applied. Larry and I both use this technique for doing our
upgrades saving many hours of PTF application processing. There are a
couple of tricks to use during the upgrade but it's much faster. If
you are using this technique to build a new machine and want it as clean
as IBM produces it, then your done. Otherwise remember to save security
and configuration along with the Save System Information and you can
rebuild the box cleanly before the user data is put onto it.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects