Assuming you are not initializing the tape every time you use it, the system keeps track of the reads/writes and all errors by tape. You can find those stats in SST

Start a service tool
Product Activity Log
Work with removable media lifetime statistics

If you initialize tapes on every use, you reset the statistics on that tape name, so it's best if you use the expiration dates on the tape and files to determine the next use of the tape.

Given this information, my vote would be no, those steps are not needed, you are spending more time verifying things than you need.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects