Jack,

In this case I would use 70GB drive sizes. When the partition needs more storage make up as many 70GB storage areas as you need and add them to the system. Since your not worried about RAID (handled by the host system) you just add them as needed. So, if you only need 50GB more space, add one drive, if you need 150GB then add two or three. In any case I would keep the sizes of the drives consistent, and only add what's needed for the partition.

What we are really after is a MINIMUM of six drives so IBM i can do it's thing with single level storage. Once you have at least that many drives, then IBM i is happy. Just add what you need. It will allow work management and the task dispatcher to use the multiple threads available for I/O.

Sorry if we (I) have confused the issue.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects