To: "'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Roy Luce - Systems Plus"
Date: 10/11/2011 07:35PM
Subject: RE: Data Extraction Tool

Alan:

The key is the iSeries supporting the cloud application is to be located in
a central location and will be pulling from many different platforms.
I'd like to make the connection process as simple as possible; both for my
company and for the client.
Because the PC is so ubiquitous it simplifies the connection issue on 2
fronts:
  1. at the hardware level
  2. at the application level.
The approach is to place a PC at each client's location.  The PC will run a
customer-specific (OS, DB and ERP system) extract routine.  That routine
will extract the required data and pass it back to the central cloud server.

In addition I'm motivated to use a commercial product rather than a DYI
application
A commercial product is likely to have more resources behind it so when
things go bump in the night I won't be on my own.
Given this preference, I'll use whatever method the commercial product
supports to define the logic required to define the extraction process.

Roy Luce

Direct: 847-540-9635
800-913-PLUS (7587)
Cell: 847-910-0884