Thanks Mark, that helps a lot.

It seems the "useful" algorithms are referred to in the V5R2 doc for CIPHER (and in V5R1, too). But we don't have them. OK, maybe there were PTFs to get them - or you had to have the cryptographic hardware, or a llicensed product installed. I don't know, had never needed to investigate this years ago.

But this finding gives me a bottom line for support. Much appreciated.

Vern