I know that live streaming is the Ultimate goal, but maybe starting with a
"tape delay" type of thing where you just video record it and then post it
within an hour or two. This would save you from the high internet costs
at least. Plus, the price that people pay to access the online version
should help to offset the cost of producing it, should it not?

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
08/17/2011 11:34 AM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: Remote Access to IBM i Conferences (was IBM i DevCon)

Speaking as one of the organizers of the RPG & DB2 Summit, we would love
to do this - but the costs to-date are prohibitive.

Lighting, video and sound equipment and staff - for four rooms in our
case, high-speed data links ... And if you think the $12 a day they charge
for internet access in some hotels is high then "you ain't seen nothin'
yet" - think a minimum of $150 per-day per-room and that is for a
connection marginally better than you'd get in your room. Nowhere near
good enough to stream video. Think $500+ per room per day for something
that could handle streaming. All this for what will in practice be a less
than 100% reliable feed that will make people really mad when it fails as
well as annoying the attendees who are there while tech issues are
resolved.

In practice I think the only way to make it work is the kind of on-line
event that Penton run - or a single track event perhaps set up in a
professional TV studio with some live attendees but primarily focussed on
the remote attendees.

COMMON are doing a few streamed sessions I think - but they don't have to
pay speakers etc. and already have to pay to have a full AV crew on-site
for other reasons, so their economic model is very different.

If anyone has any practical ideas on how to make this kind of thing work
I'd love to hear them - but right now we have no plans to offer this.