I was told (no way to confirm) that there were regulatory requirements;
i.e., potential, ad hoc audits for up to seven years. My former employer
was, primarily, a tobacco products wholesaler. I haven't seen that many
regulations since I worked on a nuclear plant site. At least the nuke site
only had to answer to the Feds; tobacco wholesalers have to, potentially,
answer to every single state (and localities in at least three states). And
every entity wants something different; I know I used to have to run the
reports while the state auditor sat in my office strumming the armchair with
his knuckles.

There is no guarantee that any agency will ever pull an audit. Nor is there
a guarantee they won't. Some are, based upon my experience, peaceable (Hey,
whenever/as soon as you can) while others seem to like adversarial-mode
(I'll be there in five minutes to pick it up). There may not be time to
find hardware alternatives if all you have are tapes/CDs/whatever.

It may be paranoia, but even paranoids have enemies. Or maybe it's just the
line of least resistance.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM i Programmer/Analyst
Why can't the Jews and the Arabs just sit down together and settle this like
good Christians. - Arthur Balfour, British statesman
--
A&K Wholesale
Murfreesboro, TN