On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Scott Klement
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's not possible for a copier to access the IFS directly, unless the
copier is running IBM i, in which case it can access it's own internal
IFS, but not one on another computer.

Or, at least, that would be my answer if I thought she was using the
right term.

The copier could potentially use NFS, Windows Networking (SMB) /
NetServer, HTTP or FTP.  Absolutely.  I totally agree with that.  But
that's not "direct to the IFS", is it?  It's "via NFS to the IFS" or
"via SMB to the IFS".

I can see you point here....I'll even admit that it's more technically
correct terminology. But uncommonly technical I think :)

One doesn't usually hear, "via SMB to a folder on a Windows server"

Note that in my reply to Candy, I did not take her to task for the wrong
terminology.  I only explained it later, because SJL appeared to
misunderstand her, because he thought she really meant IFS.

I'm very tired of people trying to make me look bad, like I'm being a
jerk.  I'm trying to help.

I don't think anybody's trying to make you look bad. I know I'm sure
not. I apologize if my reply came across that way, I'm in the middle
of a project and didn't have much time to spare.

Honestly, I think you're just so much smarter than the rest of us that
we don't always see the same way.

My only point was that "direct to the IFS" makes perfect sense to
me...and that "access to my IBM i DASD" could mean Netserver, but that
other choices were available.

Heck I'm ecstatic that she understands the IFS is there in the first
place. Most the people I work with still FTP stream files into a
physical file created with CRTPF FILE(MYFLATFILE) RCDLEN(xxx).

I should quit these assinine mailing lists... they're good for nothing
but aggravation, lately.

Please don't.

Sincerely,
Charles