. . . once as a configured-but-missing drive, and once as a non-configured drive.

We've determined that the most likely cause of the failure to see any drives on the expansion side of the box is at some intermediate point between the main logic board and the expansion IOP: something is keeping them from talking to each other.

Is this a situation I can work with, and if so, HOW?!?

If I seem whiny about this, understand that I've got a user waiting for a bug-fix since early February, and building even a PTF for that bug-fix without the 40s would be problematic, and building a release without it would be doubly so.

And if it weren't for the fact that there have been a few small source changes since the last backup, I wouldn't have a problem with reloading the whole system from the "Entire System" backup from New Year's Eve, and then apply the SAVCHGOBJ backup from a little over a month ago.

If it were just me, I wouldn't be so impatient with this. And if it were my own money, I'd call out a technician.