It is Linux based, but the HMC is an appliance, not a licensed program product that runs on top of Linux, therefore you can only access the HMC via the methods provided for. That said, the console 5250 emulator and browser access are excellent and you wont need VNC or any other access method to get to the HMC. That is providing you configure your LAN and firewalls properly. You also have to set the HMC firewall up to allow remote access. All easy to do. I don't know of a reason to need a KVM. I rarely use one. We don't even have one in the Franken Lab or iDevCloud environments and we get to the HMC every day.

Jim Oberholtzer
CEO/Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects, LLC