Brian,

During the redesign of one of our applications in the shop I work for we
were faced with the same problem as you state (mainly, inconsistency in
fields/columns definitions).

What we did was to create a SQL table (DATADICT) with no data and all the
fields and definitions (e.g. LABEL) we needed. After that, every new table
was created referencing the DATADICT table (Create table newtable AS (Select
col1, col2, etc from DATADICT) definition only.

Maybe using a whole new SCHEMA would have been better, but our redesign
wasn't so extensive as to justify it.

Regards,

Luis Rodriguez

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Brian Piotrowski <