On 1/14/2011 10:10 AM, Pat Barber wrote:

All of the thousands of customers that have/had/still have the old
WDS(seu,pdm,sda,etc,etc)
are screwed by IBM ??? I find that hard to believe.

It's not that bad. It'd be better with a flowchart, but the major
things to bear in mind are:

1) RD Power is sold by the seat. There's an initial purchase fee and
annual maintenance.
2) SEU is sold by the seat. There's no initial purchase fee if you have
fewer developers than the entitlements allocated you based on the
processor tier of your IBM i. If you go over that limit, you pay the
same (I think) initial purchase fee you pay for RD Power.
3) RPG is sold by the seat. You have entitlements here, same as SEU.
4) RPG III (legacy) is sold by the seat. No entitlements.
5) Every product has annual maintenance; no entitlements.

IBM used to be able to recoup some of the development cost in the price
of the hardware. Now that the hardware costs less, they need to see
software as an income-producing line item. If IBM's i divisions don't
show profits, IBM will reassign people to work on divisions that are
more profitable.

It used to be integrated, now it's a la carte. I'm trying to sell RD
Power's perceived cost as part of the whole life cycle cost of
developing and running on IBM i. The immense power of the hardware is
cheaper in real dollars today than last year. It looks like I'm going
to have to pay a one time fee to realign the price structures. That's
worse than free, but not nearly as bad as losing Toronto to AIX.

--buck