Having done two or three of these same types of assessments in the recent past I found there were only two factors that matter in a data/document retention policy. First, what is corporate council willing to defend in court, and second how much money is senior corporate leadership willing to spend in discovery in the event of legal action.

My experience says tax records need to be kept per IRS guidelines and contracts/legal agreements until the end of the limitations statues that apply and most of the legal council I have encountered agree with that. Most have set email and other electronic retention periods to very short intervals (60 days to 365 days) and enforce it electronically. I have seen document/data retention policies from as little as 60 days to over 3 years, but most of my clients want to limit the ability of a legal aggressor to perform discovery so, it is back to the attorneys you go.

Things like summary sales history and trending that do not have specific information can be kept as long as is warranted.

Bottom line is, it depends........

Jim Oberholtzer
CEO/Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects, LLC