"As soon as you scan it, capture it, or otherwise originate or convert it in
electronic media, IT at least shares responsibility."

IT's responsibility is to carry out the policy. IT might help the data
owner to come up with the policy but their main responsibility is to carry
it out.

Re: holding backups for longer than needed

That's another policy item. The retention policy needs to spell out if
retention guidelines are the minimum acceptable or both minimum & maximum;
i.e. at least 30 days v. exactly 30 days. Data destruction also needs to be
in the policy. For instance (and relative to the midrange community), is it
enough for the tape to expire & be ready for reuse or does it have to be
loaded & re-initialized?

"I'm not an expert on this topic. I'm not familiar with COBIT or ITIL or
ISO17799, etc. You may be."

I'm not much on ITIL but have gone through COBIT and my employer is actively
organizing around ISO. I'm a CISSP (
https://www.isc2.org/cissp/default.aspx ) and grew into IT Security from
midrange sysadmin some time ago. The CISSP domains go beyond pure IT to
cover other aspects like law & compliance and physical security.

Our corporate governance is that the business units own & classify the
data. Once classified, appropriate retention (and destruction) is
determined. IT and other departments may assist but the owner has
responsibility. Once determined, it is implemented. Implementation goes
well beyond IT as there are still plenty of paper/non-electronic documents.
As much as we've gone paperless for expense reports, AP, AR, invoicing,
check remittance, and so on, we still have a bunch of high speed printers
that are kept busy killing trees, filling file cabinets, and filling boxes
for eventual off-site archiving.

This model has passed muster with our Legal department, internal audit, and
external audit. Our policies are also provided to clients as needed and
there hasn't been any significant pushback. Our clients include major banks
& financial services companies, health care providers, major manufacturers,
and even some technology companies like that one just outside of Seattle.

"A Chief INFORMATION Officer, by title has responsibility for the
INFORMATION in the organization."

Let's be honest. CIO is misleading. It should really be CITO. I've yet to
see a CIO of a major organization whose job duties scoped beyond IT &
telecomm. Those printers, paper documents, and archiving tasks are handled
by Office Services (which, like a lot of IT, has been outsourced).
Likewise, you see CSO and CISO titles; CISO is more accurate unless they
have responsibility for physical and other aspects of security.

"The law is about 20 years behind .."

The law is always behind. That problem is exacerbated in modern times as
legislators look to "do something" about problems that get media attention
instead of problems that need addressing. Hence we have
cell-phone-while-driving laws that were immediately antiquated as they
needed to be supplemented by anti-texting laws. Among all the hoopla and
sound bites it was ignored that distracted driving/reckless driving laws
have existed for decades, already covered the issue, and that the actual
problem is a lack of enforcement not a lack of legislation.

The law might not be so far behind if it wouldn't let itself get distracted
by the 6 o'clock news and the next reelection campaign.

What a sour note to end on.