Paul,

For a personal box a low end 520 would likely work pretty well. Work hard to find one in the P05 tier though as the software becomes doable in that tier and then you can get V5R3, R4, V6R1, V7R1 keys for the thing. Good range of O/S support there. You will need to find an HMC to LPAR but if you're willing to just get a couple sets of disks you can reboot on different versions if required.

You can almost certainly get something under $10,000 with drives, cards, Memory DVD and RAID. Tape drive not included. Poke around and check with customers doing upgrades.

- Larry