From: Bryce Martin <BMartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02/25/2010 01:55 PM
Subject: Re: Why i??? NEED YOUR INPUT

So you are saying you want Synaptic Package Manager for the i? Don't we
ALL! :)

I personally like the system because it is so durable. Sure you have to
IPL after you put on certain PTFs, I can be ok with that. But what I
don't have to do is IPL just to fix 3rd party software memory leaks, and
other bugs that hose the whole system when they cause an error. And I
like the fact that I don't have to have a dedicated server to run 1
software package. How many racks of windows servers do companies have
because the software vendor says that their software runs best on a
dedicated install? I've lost count here.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx>
02/25/2010 02:26 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Why i??? NEED YOUR INPUT

I will agree with you that applying PTF's suck (I think that is what you
were saying). I rarely do it because it is such a pain in the butt. Note

am NOT an admin type, but I don't think I should need to be. The only way

have been able to do it is by way of your blog and wiki posts.

I want to be able to go into WRKPTFGRP, select a function key to check for
latest updates of the products I have installed, review the updates, and
select which ones I want to install - all from the green screen. I don't
want to get Java or my desktop involved because I inevitably have
something
not quite setup right and have to go to different desktops to see which is
working well enough to make everything work from start to finish. Ok, I
will get off my soap box now....

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Lukas Beeler <