That sounds like a poorly designed program. It sounds like they are
creating a new connection each time a user logs in. It would perform
MUCH better if they did some connection pooling instead. You would get
the same result in any language. Opening and closing DB connections is
expensive in any language.

The problem is Java really isn't that hard to write. There are plenty
of examples out there and people just use those examples good or bad.
The Java compiler is free and most of us use an eclipse based IDE
anyway, so throwing some quick code together is easy.
Object oriented programming and procedural programming are very
different. You can't code them the same way.

In RPG we take a lot of things for granted. Tables automatically open
and close for us. You don't have to connect to the database and worry
about disconnecting from the database. You don't have to be concerned
about thread safety. Generally speaking resources don't need to be
cleaned up. People see that you have to do that in Java and just try
be smarter than the VM by NULLing objects, just not closing resources
at all assuming the GC will do it for them or connection/disconnecting
from a DB for every read/write. Doing that kind of stuff can give you
poor performance.

--
James R. Perkins