Griz,

Since this is your first foray into EDI, I'd suggest a web-based solution to
start out with (kind of like a VAN). Try this google search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=web-based+edi

The way that usually works is:

- You build an upload file(s) to their requirements, then upload to their
EDI system using a web interface. Many provide more than one way of getting
your data to their system.
- They translate your file into "standard" EDI formats, do some data
checking, and whatnot
- They send the translated files to the various trading partners - which
could be many - using whatever transmission medium the various trading
partners can/will handle (email, XML, http(s), (s)ftp(s), as2, etc)
- They provide you with various status reports (failures, rejections,
acceptances, remittance advices, etc).

You just need to make sure they can trade with all of your partners.

Later, as you learn more about EDI, the various formats and methods, you can
venture into a solution which allows you to do all of that in-house, saving
the expense of going thru the web-based solution. ExTol is my favorite, I
work with it daily for various clients.

Tom H
iDocket.com

=======

I'm looking into ways I can implement EDI at our company. This is my first
foray into EDI and I'm pretty much in the dark about what my options are.
Our ERP package offers an EDI module (at an extra charge), and they suggest
using Inovis. Due to the fact that Inovis appears to be expensive, I will
consider using them as a last resort.
I'm looking for a solution that will handle the EDI translation and VAN
requirements, but communicate with me using some other form of
technology(HTTP/FTP). The ability to FTP xml files back and forth would be
an example of how I'd like to communicate with the EDI company.
Does something like this sound possible?
Thanks,
Griz