I don't particularly think that what Bob writes is always the way things are
going. I have read a few of his blogs, and to me he seems to be a little
pessimistic. I think Bob is a smart man, and very articulate, but I don't
always agree with his fortune-telling. I do enjoy reading his work.

Last year I saw IBM i development plans going out to 2013/2014, with
investments, enhancements, and modifications going into the i operating
system. I can't discuss the content of what those were, but to me it didn't
look like IBM was pulling things back at all. Things can always change,
and I will be interesting to hear what IBM has to say when I am out in
Rochester in November.

I think part of the problem is that people see the coming together of p and
i as a bad thing. IBM didn't merge the operating systems, they converged
the hardware to a common element to drive their costs down, and hopefully
pass that savings onto us. I have seen the price of hardware fall
drastically over the last two years (ask my sales guys, they have to sell
more units to make quota). We have also seen in the last 2 years how fast
the i has brought in new technology. I think that rate will continue to
favor us, but that has come at somewhat of a cost to the i folks. Some
technology has been brought to us natively (best example is Solid State
Drives) which is great, other technology has come via VIOS (some of the SANS
are a good example). VIOS is a subset of AIX, and allows IBM to build the
physical drivers for the hardware once, and then the i is able to use the
hardware via VIOS. VIOS owns that hardware, and then i5/OS runs as a quest
partition on top of VIOS. In some ways, VIOS can be thought to be another
abstraction layer because VIOS will allow the physical connection of new
hardware and then logically allow the i to use that.

Again, I enjoyed reading Bob's articles, and believe he is a great
advocate for the i, but I didn't always agree with everything he wrote.
And, that is ok.

Pete

Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions