Writing RPGLE code with Eclipse or WDSC:

I want to write some code without a connection to the i. I have used Code/400 in the past and it works nicely. So I decided to upgrade my skills with Eclipse and WDSC.
Intuitive is not a word that comes to mind.

So far, I have not been able to use WDSC unless I define a connection, and with Eclipse all I can find to use is a text editor, which is not productive in any way.

What am I missing?