Scott,

Just to confirm what you are saying:

You can remove the CD just as the 515 starts up but before the OS is fully loaded? Is that what you meant when you said "I just powered down the system and then *was* able to open the CD drive". Or did you have to pry the thing open when it was off? If you can operate the CD with the button but once the OS is loaded you can't, it would seem to me that some process is locking the object. On a PC that can be a program that treats a CD like a hard drive and in that case the program itself has an "eject" function. What the equivalent would be on a 515, I have no idea.

I don't recall ever seeing this. The pointers about the case/bezel/faceplate impinging might be a possibility, but if you can operate the CD when the machine is on but the OS isn't fully loaded, it sounds like a software issue.

Pete

Scott Lindstrom wrote:
Before I place a hardware call (and potentially embarrass myself) I wanted
to ask if anyone knows any reason they system would keep me from opening
the CD drive.

I just powered down the system and then *was* able to open the CD drive
door and remove the CD that was in there from weeks ago. But when I
brought the system back up I am where I was before; the drive light will
blink a couple times but the door will not open.

Does this sound like a hardware problem, or is there some locking mechanism
that might be keeping me from opening the door?

(The last time I used the CD drive (a few weeks ago) I was testing/learning
about image catalogs. Possibly anything related to that that would survive
an IPL)?

Scott Lindstrom

This electronic mail message and all attachments to it contain information
intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may
include confidential and / or legally privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient, you have received this message and all
attachments in error, and any review, use, dissemination, distribution or
copying of any item is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
email and delete this electronic mail message and all attachments from your
computer, including all copies.