On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 19:24, Kirk Goins<kgoins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I know Solid State Disks ( SSD's ) are new. The Online Sales Manual
doesn't give specs on how much faster they are. It just says something
to the affect of 'much faster' ÂI was wondering how much faster compared
to the standard SAS drives.

Intel is currently one of the leading manufacturers of SSD drives.
I've been using an X25-M 80GB (G1), OCZ Vertex 120GB and today just
installed my X25-M 160GB (G2).

These are all consumer SSDs, utilizing MLC flash. MLC flash has lower
"rewritability" and is slower while writing.

The performance difference between my old WD Raptor (10kRPM, SATA,
consumer high performance drive) is big. Of course in a laptop that
originally had a 7.2kRPM drive it was even better.

Intel has published quite a few papers regarding SSD performance:

http://download.intel.com/design/flash/nand/extreme/OLTP_Performance_Comparison_Solid-State.pdf

In this specific benchmark, 24 Seagate 15kRPM drives were by 35% by 6
Intel X25-E SLC SATA drives.

Unfortunately, i have no idea which SSDs IBM is shipping, and it's not
easy to find on the net.

List price on the SSDs are $10,000 each for 69.9GB.

The guys in the Power division are still on some good drugs, it seems.