Lukas Beeler wrote:
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 18:50, Charles Wilt<charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Even if you were to get a new machine, wouldn't the ease of moving
from old-->new when both are at v5r4 mean it would make sense to
upgrade the 270 to v5r4?

Well, there are multiple ways to do this. Our customers systems are
usually well-documented, so it's a lot faster to use the IBM V5R4
preload, move the application, data, user profiles, device
descriptions and done. This usually takes roughly 2-8 hours, depending
on the amount of data the customer has. And even works when the
customer currently has a Model 150 running V4R4.

Much less time than upgrading to V5R3, then to V5R4M5 and THEN doing a
Save 21 & Reload.

But of course if you have messy, undocumented setup it might be faster
to do the OS upgrades and then move everything over to the new
hardware.

Here's a 30K foot level process that Al Barsa has suggested in the past
Full System Save of Current System
Delete the IBM License Products like WDS, ST1, QU1 etc
Upgrade to V5R2 or V5R3 ( Skip running PTFs )
Now Upgrade to V5R4
Add the IBM License Products
PTFs
TEST TEST TEST
Full System, Save before you turn the system loose to users.

Now This all assumes couple of things
#1 You can get V5R4 with the License Keys. If you are on 5.1 I'm guessing you don't have an IBM SW Maint. If that is true, you will need to purchase one and it will include an extra charge for not keeping it current ( MAL - maint after license fee ). That fee can be 50% to 100% of the SWMA.
#2 It assumes you have enough disk space and that the loadsource disk is at least 17GB.
#3 You want more memory probably too, maybe not.
#4 I'm sure someone on the list can get you a set of 5.2 or 5.3 CDs

VENDOR / BP ON
As mentioned above it may be easier/cheaper to get a new system and migrate/move to it. Your HW maint. cost from IBM on a 270 can be upwards of $9K-10K or more a year depending on the model. That plus SW maint over a 3 year period would buy you a screaming 8203-E4A 1 way compared to the current system.
VENDOR / BP OFF