Hi, James:

You could add a command in your start-up program (QSTRUPPGM) to send an e-mail to certain people (including you?) to notify you that the system is "back up again" ... automatically, after each IPL. Also, you could write a small CL program to send this notification e-mail, and invoke this program as a "prestart" job for certain critical subsystems, to notify that you know when certain subsystems have been restarted.

That way, if you have a normal outage (such as for back-ups), and you don't get the e-mail telling you the system is back UP again, you can then start investigating a little sooner ...

Also, absent an HMC, you could look at using "Operations Console" that ships with ClientAccess, and then access that PC remotely. Or, if you use TwinAx consoles, you could use a 5250 emulator card in a PC, and use something like Symantec PCAnywhere or VNC to be access this "console" remotely from any PC. Also, be aware that not all 5250 emulator cards/software support this, because some emulators (e.g. IBM ClientAccess PC5250) require TCP/IP or an SNA router to connect. You need an emulator card and software that directly emulates a hardware twinax 5250 terminal.

HTH,

Mark

> Salter, James wrote:
Yes, it has happened recently to me.

We use the TAATOOL GO SAVE2 function to schedule this on weekends.

I was unsure whether or not this was a TAATOOL problem or in IBM
problem.

I have verified the system reply list entries, (you may wish to verify
that you have this as a reply list entry) yet it still did not answer
the message.

The partially saved library was an iTERA HA Library, so I am not sure if
this was an iTERA issue as well.

Unfortunately this is real hard to resolve without going through it a
time or two & yet next week you could not even have partially saved
libraries, so you would not even be able to determine if it was actually
fixed or not.

To complicate matters, I have a V6R1 environment where the same type
thing happened. The QCTL subsystem did not start up.
If you do not have an HMC or OPS Console, then you will have to drive to
the office. Fortunately, I can get into the HMC, take over the session,
& start things up remotely.

This does sound like an IBM issue to me.

Unfortunately with the system down, there is no notification to you that
it is down. It would be really nice to get a notification instead of
figuring it out on your own.

Thanks.
James Salter
Systems Programmer
American Cast Iron Pipe Company
phone (205) 325-3033
fax (205) 307-3833

date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 07:43:09 -0600
from: "Cyndi Bradberry" <CyndiB@xxxxxxxx>
subject: SAVSYS & Break Messages - V5R4

List,

We attempted an unattended SAVSYS this weekend. Our default is to not
break for messages during the back-up.
Define Save System and User Data Defaults
Type choices, press Enter.
Devices . . . . . . . . . . . ULT Names
Prompt for commands . . . . . N Y=Yes, N=No
Check for active files . . . . N Y=Yes, N=No
Message queue delivery . . . . *NOTIFY *BREAK, *NOTIFY
Start time . . . . . . . . . . 23:15:00 *CURRENT, time
Vary off network servers . . . *NONE *ALL, *NONE
Unmount file systems . . . . . N Y=Yes, N=No

More... F3=Exit F12=Cancel

And yet, the system sat and waited at a break message, CPF3777 to let
us know that there were 2 libraries partially saved ! I discovered this
Sunday morning when I tried to VPN into my system and TCP was not
running. I ended up making a trip to town to answer the message and
allow the system to complete the save.

In talking to my system administrator today, he said this was the third
time this halt had happened. He had thought he hadn't set the message
queue properly before and so had triple checked things this time.
Has this happened to anyone else ? I'm off to search thru the APAR's &
PTF's.
TIA,
Cyndi B. Boise

_________Confidentiality Notice_______________________
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it is
confidential and is intended solely for the use of
the individual(s) or entity(ies) to whom this e-mail
is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this e-mail in error, and that any use,
disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing, retention or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately return this e-mail to the sender and delete the e-mail from your system. Thank you.