I love standards....there's so many to choose from :D

Charles

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 2:33 PM, John McKee <jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for posting the response Rob.  A shame that ls options could not follow
accepted standard.  In the past, I have encountered IBM extensions, but they
were that: extensions, not outright differences.

John McKee

Quoting rob@xxxxxxxxx:

IBM's reply:

Robert,
In the qshell environment the -S option on ls does not mean sort by size
as it does in some unix environments.  In qshell that option means that
the CCSID of the file should be displayed.  This is documented in the
information center and it does appear to work as documented.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/rzahz/ls.htm

I tried it in the portable utilities (PASE) environment, I found that it
states that it doesn't support the S option at all.

As always seems to be the case with unix environments, there is a fairly
simple way to get what you want though.  You can pipe the output of the
list (ls) command into the sort utility and sort it by the 4th column (you
have to use the long format of ls to get the size displayed) and I wanted
the list in decreasing order so I added the -r to the sort to reverse the
order:

ls -al | sort +4 -r

My testing:
This seems to work
ls -al | sort +4 -r
 -rw-rw-rw-   1 QNOTES  0           18751160320 May 15 13:36 a_lsoto.nsf

 -rw-rw-rw-   1 QNOTES  0           17524064256 May 15 13:35 a_tmena.nsf

 -rw-rw-rw-   1 QNOTES  0           17052991488 May 15 13:34 a_dhayes.nsf

 -rw-rw-rw-   1 QNOTES  0           11409293312 May 15 13:37
a_agallego.nsf
 -rw-rw-rw-   1 QNOTES  0           10806362112 May 15 13:35
a_rbixler.nsf
 -rw-rw-rw-   1 QNOTES  0           10574364672 May 15 13:34
a_vgarcia.nsf
 -rw-rw-rw-   1 QNOTES  0            9651355648 May 15 13:36 a_rriner.nsf

Result:
Submit DCR.  A workaround is one step away from a reacharound.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E