On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 11:02 PM, M. Lazarus <mlazarus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
James,

 See inline:

At 5/11/09 11:38 AM, you wrote:
I guess I need to understand what you mean by "native". I don't think
something that only runs on Windows or only runs on Linux is a viable
solution these days. I would think that would be up to the developer what OS
to develop the GUI for.

 The client can theoretically be any platform.  By "native" I mean
that the languages and API's will directly support sending the
commands and maybe even the content of the GUI.  A simple approach
could be some DDS extensions, accessible via an extension to the
EXFMT keyword.  But I don't want to get into the implementation
now.  I just believe that folks in the IBM labs have the smarts to
implement this, if IBM chooses to allow it.

Mark,

Where is IBM labs located? I suspect it no longer exists. Only by
being open sourced will IBM i ( call it "open i" ) get the
improvements it needs like remote desktop, managed code and a native
web server. My boycott of anything IBM continues until mgmt does right
by its legacy customers.

-Steve