Our LUG convened recently for a VM/BladeCenter presentation at IBM. The
speaker said that things are presently in place on the i to write to a new
type of virtual tape drive that is connected to a physical tape drive by
VIOS. The last piece that's in beta is the firmware update for the
BladeCenter(?) that'll enable it. He was confident of the solution and
offered to let anybody into the beta program so that they could get their
hands on the firmware update if writing to tape was the only deal breaker on
switching to Power blades.

I forget if plugging the BladeCenter S to external storage arrays is already
working or if it's something that'll be released this year. He did admit
that writing to tape and providing adequate storage removed a large portion
of the i community from the BladeCenter S.

Alfred