From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:14 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: PHP and mySQL startup

I thought, you being a BCD customer and all, that you'd be pouncing on
their product.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

From:
"Jeff Crosby" <jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:
"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
02/26/2009 01:51 PM
RE: PHP and mySQL startup
Sent by:
midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Tim,

Thanks for the information. This whole thing is fast becoming bigger and
bigger and bigger. I thought thia would be relatively simple, but I'm
biting off more than I can currently chew, I think.

To recap how this whole thing came to be for me last week, it went like
this:

1) Had a senior mgt meeting during which we discussed at length having a
product search on our website.

2) After the meeting, I visited GoDaddy (hosts our website) to see what
the
capabilities were. The answer was "PHP" and "mySQL". I got tingles on
the
back of my neck <g> because I was registered for a webinar that very
afternoon regarding PHP and mySQL on the i. The word serendipity comes to
mind.

3) The webinar did not disappoint. It was possible to create a mySQL
table
with a DB2 storage engine that would also be available as a standard DB2
table to RPG. This was just what I was looking for! The table and the
PHP
could be developed on the i (Zend Studio) by someone who knew how, then
uploaded to the website. At the same time, it could remain on the i so I
could tinker and learn. Serendipity on steroids.

Alas, all is not that easy. Reality time: The learning curve is steep.
The funds for formal training are not available now. The DB2 storage
engine
for mySQL isn't even released yet. And the version of mySQL that was
installed with Zend isn't new enough anyway.

I don't have a problem with taking a DB2 table, exporting it to a .csv
file,
then importing it into a mySQL table, and getting it to the website. It
doesn't have to get there via FTP either, it just needs to get there.

--
Jeff Crosby
UniPro FoodService/Dilgard

company. Unless I say so.