1 - Use image catalogs for software upgrades. A lot less surprises like
this. Then again, you were just getting TO V5R3 I don't remember if image
catalogs were available for that.
2 - When doing a software upgrade actually use the Software Installation
manual and perform the steps about preparing for the upgrade. Including
all the steps in the GO LICPGM, option 5 and verifying the media and
stuff. I'm surprised that didn't tell you that you were missing this
before the upgrade.
3 - AC3 dies with newer versions of the OS. Most of it is now part of
base. Some is spun off into NAE.
4 - You're lucky to have gotten any help at all from IBM. They announced
end of support for upgrades to V5R3 in January of last year. And complete
end of support for V5R3 is end of April.
http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/i/planning/software/i5osschedule.html

How did you determine the save file was corrupt? You may be flustered
after a weekend like that and accidentally sent the save file in ascii
instead of binary or some such thing. Check all that out and cross your
fingers that it was something so simple.

Nice to see you giving your 720's it's last hurrah though.
http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/i/planning/upgrade/osmapping.html